How to Prepare Perfect Ham and Bean Soup
Ham and Bean Soup. This ham and bean soup is one of my favorite recipes on the website, and one that my father has been making for the family for decades. He makes a big batch (doubles this one) and because it just gets better as the days go by, we'll enjoy it for dinner one night and then for lunch for several days afterward. Ham and Bean Soup is one of our all time favorite foods to come home to on a chilly day.
Nana's Epic Navy Bean Ham Bone Soup Recipe: A simple, yet utterly tempting, ham and bean soup recipe is a great way to use your leftover holiday ham bone. Navy beans or cannellini beans would work well in this soup; just test a bean for doneness at the end of the cook time to make sure they are tender. Ham Hock and bean soup in Instant Pot, Crock pot or slow cooker. You can cook Ham and Bean Soup using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ham and Bean Soup
- You need 1 lb of ham rough chopped.
- Prepare 1 lb of dried great northern beans.
- Prepare 1 gallon of homemade ham stock.
- It’s 1 cup of finely chopped carrots.
- Prepare 1 cup of finely chopped celery.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of dehydrated onion flakes.
- You need 1 tsp of granulated garlic.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of white pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Organic No-Salt Seasoning (Costco brand).
But when you make ham and bean soup in the Instant Pot, you'll be in for a real treat! The time to make a huge batch like this is literally under an hour and a half, but without sacrificing flavor and texture. This ham and bean soup is one of my favorite pressure cooker recipes! This Instant Pot soup tastes like it cooked all day, but it's ready in less than two hours!
Ham and Bean Soup step by step
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water..
- Finely chop the carrots and celery into pieces no larger than a 1/4 inch. They should be about the same size as the beans..
- Rough chop ham into about one inch chunks. Combine all ingredients and simmer for at least 4 hours until the beans are tender..
- Once the beans are tender and the broth has started to become a bit cloudy from the beans starting to breakdown use the back of a ladle and mash a few times. This will add a slightly thicker creamier texture, an immersion blender can be used too. Serve with biscuits or cornbread..
Big thanks to Hurst's Beans for sponsoring this post. Can I Freeze Ham and Bean Soup? Yes, this soup is a great candidate for freezing! Simply chill the soup completely in the refrigerator overnight before transferring How to Make Ham and Bean Soup – Step by Step Photos. Before you begin, dice one yellow onion, peel and slice three carrots, slice.