How to Prepare Perfect My Ham Shank Soup (Thick pea soup)
My Ham Shank Soup (Thick pea soup). When I want Split Pea Soup, this is the recipe I crave! Made with ham hocks or leftover ham, this is so delicious and freezes well. Make sure to check the liquid and consistency.
Split Pea and Ham Soup at Its Finest. This recipe makes a hearty and vibrant dish that's the perfect comforting, cold-weather soup. Add the stock (My ham was quite salty from the ham so I added half water half stock), carrots, celery, and herb bundle. You can cook My Ham Shank Soup (Thick pea soup) using 5 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of My Ham Shank Soup (Thick pea soup)
- It’s 4 of large carrots scraped and cut into chunky slices.
- It’s 250 g of Yellow Split Peas.
- Prepare of About 800g Ham Shank.
- You need of Boil in 2 1/2 Pints water.
- Prepare of Add a little black pepper.
Add the paprika and pepper (save the salt until the. You'll get quantities on the side of the packet the peas came in. I recall this soup from my childhood, my school and even kindergarten years. Pea soup is very rich, fragrant and delicious.
My Ham Shank Soup (Thick pea soup) step by step
- Rinse the split yellow peas under cold water for a few minutes. Add the shank to boiling water and cook for 30 minutes, take out and take all the fat off it will come away easy then..
- Scrape and slice the carrots chunky. Add the split peas to the ham shank water with the shank when fat and skin removed. Simmer for about an hour then check if the meat comes off. If not leave for another hour for the split peas to be cooked..
- Fat and skin taken off. Add it back to the water with the split peas and carrots. Leave to simmer away for about an hour then check if the meat falls off the bone..
- Meat falling off the bone. When you take the bone out and grissle. Let it boil a little longer then some fat will float on top and you can scoop it off..
- After simmering. Turn off and leave for about an hour before serving as it goes thicker. Next day its the best. Cooked turn off and leave and it will be much thicker and meat falling to bits. So tasty. You can freeze this soup too..
It is also very good in cold weather. The cooking of it is quite simple and. Split Pea Soup is the perfect hearty winter soup to serve your family as it is so easy-to-mak and so good! "Snert" is the Dutch version of pea soup. It is a thicker stew of split peas, pork and various vegetables. In the winter many outdoor food stalls will serve hot "snert" as a hearty snack along frozen.