Recipe: Perfect Pea Ham Hock Soup
Pea Ham Hock Soup. Ham hock adds a ton of porky flavor to this classic split pea soup. Stir in the carrots, celery, stock, and split peas and bring to a simmer. Split pea soup bits of smoky ham adds flavor to this hearty winter pantry meal, and optional garlic croutons add crunch.
Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. If you can't find smoked ham hocks, use a leftover ham bone or ham steak. If you don't eat pork, you can swap the ham for a smoked turkey To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the soup with the date and time. You can have Pea Ham Hock Soup using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pea Ham Hock Soup
- You need 1 of ham hock fat trimmed rindless skin off.
- Prepare 2 cups of frozen peas.
- You need 2 of medium potatoes,peeled cut in cube.
- Prepare 2 of big carrots peeled and chopped.
- You need 3 of celery stalks chopped.
- You need 1 of onion chopped.
- Prepare 2 tbs of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of seasoning powder.
- Prepare 2 L of water.
Red pea and ham hock soup melds sweet potato, Scotch bonnet pepper, coconut milk, and kidney beans for a uniquely flavorful Jamaican dish. Ham hock soup was another one of my favorites while in Jamaica. Serve as is or with a tablespoon of pure dark Appleton® rum swirled into the soup. Slow cook your split pea soup while you are out for the day and a delicious dinner will be ready when you arrive back home!
Pea Ham Hock Soup instructions
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and celery, cook for 2 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, frozen peas, ham hock and seasoning powder mixed with 2 litres of water..
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes until vegetables are cooked and ham hock is very tender. Remove pan from heat. Remove ham hock and allow it to cool.
- Cut meat from the bone and shred finely..
- Blend the soup until smooth with a hand blender..
- Bring soup slowly back to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Add ham meat..
This is a real stick-to-your-ribs soup. The ham hock gives a great smoky flavor.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen. This amazing recipe for Split Pea & Ham Soup is made using a ham bone or ham hocks. It can also be made in a slow cooker or on the stovetop. How to Make Split Pea and Ham Soup.