Pea Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.
Split Pea Soup is the perfect hearty winter soup to serve your family as it is so easy-to-mak and so good! My family considered this soup as an all-time comfort food. Dried split peas are cooked with ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks. You can have Pea Soup using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pea Soup
- Prepare 1 lb of Dried Split Peas.
- Prepare 2 of quartz water.
- You need 1.5 lb of ham steak; diced.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 Package (2 links) of Eckrich skinless smoked sausage; halved & chopped.
- It’s 2 Stalks of Celery; peeled & chopped.
- You need 3 of Carrots; peeled & chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 bag of golden baby potatoes; quartered.
- It’s 2 of yellow onions; diced.
This filling, hearty soup is perfect for cold winter days. I had been eating split pea soup for at least half my life before I realized it was not traditionally a A lot of vegetarian split pea soups add potatoes for bulk, but I find it only further mutes a muted soup's. Can you overcook split pea soup? Split peas take a very long time to soften, so you don't have to worry about overcooking them.
Pea Soup instructions
- In a large dutch oven add peas and 2qts water.
- Simmer for 2 min, turn off heat, cover and let soak for 1 hour (or soak peas overnight).
- Add ham, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer covered, gently, for 90 minutes; stir often.
- Add sausage, celery, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 min, or until potatoes are tender; stir often.
If you'd like the rest of the vegetables in your soup to retain some bite, add. Hap-Pea and Pea-Wee, the friendly mascots of Pea Soup Andersen's. Growing up, every once in a while, my dad would come up a brilliant idea: "Let's go to Pea Soup Andersen's for lunch!" Split pea soup is pure comfort food for many and it's surprisingly easy to make at home. The magic of split pea soup is that the peas are so small that they melt into a thick slurry as they cook. This is a fabulous "throw it all in the slow cooker" Pea and Ham soup.