Recipe: Tasty Lentil and Ham Soup
Lentil and Ham Soup. A leftover meaty ham bone or ham hock flavors this tasty lentil soup. It makes an excellent lunch when the soup is with a sandwich or salad (or just enjoyed in a big The soup lends itself to a variety of different seasonings. All Reviews for Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup.
A bricklayer, he regularly works outside during winter. —Andi Haug, Hendrum, Minnesota. This ham bone and lentil soup is perfect for the stove, the pressure cooker, or the crockpot, depending on what you want to use. All the ways to make Ham and Lentil Soup: On the stovetop, in the crockpot, or in a modern pressure cooker, I've got you covered! You can have Lentil and Ham Soup using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lentil and Ham Soup
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 cup of dried brown lentils, rinsed & picked over.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, peeled & chopped.
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped fine.
- It’s 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white wine or sherry.
- Prepare 7 cup of chicken broth, low-sodium.
- You need 1 tsp of fresh thyme, minced.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 of ham hock.
- It’s 2 cup of ham, chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of kale, stemmed and chopped.
- You need 1 of salt & pepper, to taste.
I also add rice (any kind, but the short sweet brown rice is great) or barley, which is my favorite for it's thickening powers. Risi e Bisi, Italian Rice and Peas. Lentil Soup With Ham Crock Pot Recipes. Red Lentil Ham Carrot SoupReluctant Entertainer.
Lentil and Ham Soup step by step
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering..
- Add lentils, carrots, and onion and cooke until veggies are softened and lentils are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes..
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds..
- Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 1 minute..
- Stir in broth, thyme, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil..
- Add ham hock, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until thickened and lentils are completely tender, about 1 hour..
- Discard ham hock and bay leaf..
- Puree 2 cups of soup until smooth, and return to pot..
- Stir in kale and chopped ham. Simmer, covered, until kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper..
Home » Soup » Lentil Soup » Ham Lentil Soup » Lentil And Ham Soup. So I had some left over ham and decided to do a split pea and ham soup. This dish is simple to make with limited ingredients. The lentils and tomatoes make it a very hearty and nutritious soup. I made up this recipe when trying to come up with creative ways to use leftover ham after a big holiday meal.