Easiest Way to Make Tasty Cheesy Ham and Potato soup
Cheesy Ham and Potato soup. Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, ham, and water/broth in stockpot and bring to boil. Then cook over medium heat until potatoes Stir the cheese mixture into the stockpot and cook until heated through. (I also will break up some of the potatoes for thickness. It gets thicker as it cools.
We like to use sharp Cheddar cheese for extra flavor. You can use regular Cheddar cheese if you wish. Pro tip-use pre-shredded cheese to make the recipe even easier. You can have Cheesy Ham and Potato soup using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cheesy Ham and Potato soup
- Prepare 1/2 lb of bacon.
- You need 3 each of potatoes diced.
- You need 1 small of onion diced.
- You need 1 large of carrot diced.
- You need 1 each of celery rib diced.
- It’s 4 tbsp of bacon grease.
- You need 4 tbsp of flour.
- You need 2 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of ham diced(or more).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of heavy cream.
This made from scratch Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder is thick and creamy and the perfect way to breathe new life into your leftover ham. Bacon, carrots, onion, and potato make this one hearty and delicious soup! Do you make a ham for the holidays and tend to have leftovers? Deliciously creamy Ham and Potato Soup is so EASY to make!
Cheesy Ham and Potato soup instructions
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan. Crumble and set aside. Save bacon grease..
- While the bacon is cooking: in a 5 qt dutch oven, or similar size soup or stock pot, cover diced potatoes with water and boil till desired tenderness(about 15 mins). Save 1 and 1/2 cups of water from the cooked potatoes and drain..
- After bacon is cooked, remove bacon from pan. Keep 4 tbls(I just kept all the grease in the pan from cooking the half pound of bacon) bacon grease in frying pan and add onion, celery, carrot and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent..
- Transfer cooked veggies and bacon grease to the empty soup pot that the potatoes were in..
- Add the 4 tbls flour to the veggies and stir to dissolve flour completely. Cook about 3 mins. (You may want to add a little more flour or bacon grease depending on consistency, but 4 n 4 works well).
- Slowly add the saved water from the potatoes to the pot while stirring to combine. The mixture should be quite thick..
- Add the chicken broth, ham, salt, pepper, cooked potatoes and crumbled bacon and return to simmer. Stir well to combine the liquids..
- Slowly (about a handful at a time) add cheese, let melt a little then stir in. Repeat untill all cheese added and melted..
- Add heavy cream and stir to combine..
- Return to simmer and cook 5 to 20 mins..
- Enjoy! Top with what you like. (Cheese, bacon, green onions, croutons, etc) Or enjoy as is. I like some cheese garlic croutons on mine..
The perfect way to use up your ham leftovers. Ham soup filled to the brim with soft, tender potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and the option of making your own ham broth from a leftover ham bone! With potatoes, ham, cheese, scallions, and yummy spices, this soup is FULL of flavor! We tend to have leftover ham after holidays like Christmas It takes a little more time than our other Potato soup, but it tastes PHENOMENAL. I feel like this one was a little more cheesy and hearty with the ham.