Recipe: Delicious potato ham and leek soup
potato ham and leek soup. Warm, creamy, filling soup with russet potatoes, fresh leeks, and chopped ham. What to do with leftover Easter ham? If it's still chilly where you are, warm up quickly with a simple potato leek soup with some added chopped ham.
Obviously, since we've gone dairy free, we can't make it anymore. Since we've been back in the states, I have realized that our leeks are a bit larger too, so I've cut down the number of leeks I used. Potato leek soup, or potage parmentier, is a French classic. You can cook potato ham and leek soup using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of potato ham and leek soup
- Prepare 8 cup of diced potatoes.
- You need 3 head of diced leeks, white part.
- It’s 2 cup of diced celery.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of garlic.
- Prepare 2 cup of diced cooked ham.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 12 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 tbsp of dried parsley.
- It’s 1/2 stick of butter.
- You need 2 cup of half & half.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
It's one of the first dishes I learned to make in culinary school, right after a proper omelet, because it's an essential base soup in French cuisine. Add watercress for potage au cresson, serve it chilled for Vichyssoise — or top it with bacon. Whip up this simple soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort – it has a beautiful silky texture. This slimming friendly Ham, Leek and Potato Soup is just the thing for lunch or an evening meal when the nights start drawing in.
potato ham and leek soup step by step
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot and add leeks and celery saute for about five minutes med high heat..
- Lower heat to med add ham, paprika and garlic heat for a few minutes..
- Add broth, potatoes, parsley, salt and pepper to mix and bring to boil for about 30 minutes..
- In a second sauce pan melt butter on low heat. Whisk in flour slowly to avoid clumping. Once flour is incorporated with butter, slowly add half and half.
- Reduce butter mixture, stirring occasionally to avoid scalding at medium heat, about 7 minutes. Slowly stir into soup..
How do I reheat Ham, Leek and Potato Soup? For luncheon ideas, smooth and creamy potato soup is always an excellent option. The soup makes a fabulous first course as well. This version is seasoned with a ham bone or ham hock along with sauteed leeks and butter. In a large pot over medium heat, cook onions in butter until translucent.