potato and ham soup. This hearty Ham and Potato Soup is made with a ham shank or leftover ham bone and russet potatoes. Deliciously creamy Ham and Potato Soup is so EASY to make! The perfect way to use up your ham leftovers.
This ham and potato soup is made with diced ham, Russet potatoes, carrots, celery and white cheddar cheese, all in a thick and creamy broth. An easy dinner option that's hearty, comforting and quick to make! Seriously, this delicious recipe is everything I love in a warm soup during the wintertime. You can cook potato and ham soup using 10 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of potato and ham soup
- Prepare 2 medium of red potatoe.
- It’s 2 medium of russet potatoe.
- It’s 1 large of baking potatoe ( leftovers if you have one ).
- Prepare 6 slice of thick cut bacon.
- It’s 2 medium of slices of country ham ( bone in ).
- You need 1/2 cup of frozen onion mix.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of half & half.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
It's nice and rich and creamy (using only milk, no heavy cream). It's chock-full of veggies and garlic and lots of golden potatoes. It's the perfect use for leftover ham (or even bacon) after a big holiday meal. I usually make this to use up leftover ham.
potato and ham soup step by step
- heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in stock pot, cut bacon and ham into chunks cook in stock pot until brown add onion mix and cook until tender. add chicken stock and simmer cut up red potatoes in bite size pieces. cut up russet potatoes in medium size pieces. add to chicken broth and simmer until tender.
- add water and half and half and baking potato ( chopped into chunks ) in to soup mash down soup mixture with a potato masher about 3 or 4 times leaving plenty of chunks season with your favorite seasoning. simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes..
This is easy to adapt with other ingredients. Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, ham, and water/broth in stockpot and bring to boil. Then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. A hearty soup to take the chill off and fill your belly! Homemade ham and potato soup is thick and creamy!