How to Prepare Delicious Jamaican red peas soup
Jamaican red peas soup. Jamaican Red Pea Soup recipe is definitely a family favourite, and one of the most recognisable soups to come out of Jamaica. With it full of juicy dumplings, beef, yam, sweet potato, and hot spices such as scotch bonnet and pimento seeds – it's sure to get your stomach warm and full! Caribbean Red Peas Soup (stewed peas)
It is perfect for chilly evenings. This is my vegan and gluten-free version of Jamaican red peas soup. Red peas soup is traditionally cooked with salt beef, salted pig's tail, or chicken feet. You can have Jamaican red peas soup using 17 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Jamaican red peas soup
- You need 3/4 lb of pig tail (cut in pieces).
- Prepare 1/2 lb of stew beef (cut in pieces).
- Prepare 3/4 lb of Red peas.
- You need 1 1/2 pack of grace cock soup.
- You need 1/2 lb of flour.
- It’s 4 tbs of cornmeal.
- You need 1/2 lb of yam.
- You need 1/2 lb of sweet potato.
- Prepare of pimento seeds.
- Prepare 2 stalks of escallion.
- Prepare 1 sprig of thyme.
- It’s 1 of green scotch bonnet pepper.
- You need 1/2 lb of pumpkin.
- Prepare 1 of small dasheen (to thicken soup).
- You need 1 pk of Kendel coconut powder.
- Prepare 2 of pegs garlic.
- Prepare 10 of pimento seeds.
It is a rich Jamaican soup that features beef, pig tails, gungo peas, yellow yam and more. Often served as a "Saturday soup". Often served as a "Saturday soup". Traditional Red Peas Soup can be time consuming to make, but if you want a quick and easy recipe you won't find an easier one, and it tastes great.
Jamaican red peas soup step by step
- Rinse pig's tail and beef with vinegar and water..
- Boil pig tail for about 5 mins., to get rid of excess salt..
- Rinse peas and place in pressure cooker, dice pumpkin and dasheen and add to peas along with garlic and pimento seeds. Add enough water to cover the peas. Then bring to a boil..
- Pour about 6 cups tap water in the pressure cooker, then add meat. cover and pressure for 30 minutes. (start counting after the pressure cooker starts making that sound :)).
- Remove from heat and allow the cooker to cool, then open. remove meat if they are already tender..
- Pour out the contents of the pressure cooker in another pot, or use an ordinary cover on the pressure cooker. Use the flour and cornmeal to make dumplings, peel and slice yam and sweet potato or any other ground provision you like, add to the pot..
- Mix the coconut cream in 1 cup warm water and add to pot.
- Add, cock soup, escallion, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper. Cover and allow food to cook. This will take about 15 minutes. Add cooked meat when about 5 mins remain..
- Stir regularly to prevent sticking..
- Remove from heat, and enjoy!.
Rich and decadent, Jamaican Red Peas Soup (actually made with Red Kidney Beans) is thick, creamy and full of meat, dumplings and ground provisions, making it perfect for a summer starter or a warming winter meal. The traditional recipe calls for stewing beef along with salted pig tails or ham hocks. Like most Jamaican soups, Red Pea Soup is more like a stew. If using, place pig tails in bowl, cover with water and soak overnight. This Jamaican-style red pea soup is loved by all Jamaicans.